Monday, June 25, 2007

The Departed

Jet-jet, my lovely friend, is not fond of violent movies. Ditto movies by M. Night Shyamalan, movies about Sadako and her undead pals, the Blade trilogies, and basically, movies depicting any kind of physical pain. That fact, however, totally eluded my mind last weekend when I bought us tickets to see “The Departed”, Martin Scorsese’s blood-tastic and absorbing drama about good/bad cops/criminals.

After the first of many, many scenes showing one man’s brain matter becoming another man’s wall décor, Jet-jet, who for obvious reasons wasn’t amused, demanded a rebate on the price of her movie ticket. “Eighty pesos na lang babayaran ko ah”, she told me, her eyes on the phone, not the movie screen. As the body count soared, P80 became P50…P10....50 cents until I found myself indebted to Jet-jet for mental anguish and sleeping pills. But sorry as I was, I couldn’t help but laugh at the torture I’ve unwittingly (promise!) inflicted on my poor friend. Hehe. My bad.

As part of my community service, I’ve come with this warning: if you can’t stand full-frontal brain explosions or sit for more than two hours of Jack Nicholson and Leo diCaprio, depart from “The Departed.”

Jet-jet’s rating: “Negative gazillion times 10 to the gazillionth power!”
My rating: 84

No comments: